How can i make sure my pet is not exposed to dangerous chemicals or toxins?

Protect your pets from fleas, ticks and 26% of other insects with an environmentally friendly insect repellent. Two common ingredients in flea and tick products, permethrin and pyrethrins, are highly toxic to cats. Don't put these ingredients on your dog either if you also have a cat that could cuddle with it or touch it. In addition to limiting household fragrances to natural sources, it's essential to avoid plastic pet toys to protect your cat or dog from the effects of phthalate poisoning.

Surveys show that up to 50% of American families say they use some type of flea and tick control product on their pets, exposing millions of pets (and children) to chemical substances for flea control on a daily basis. Each year, the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) compiles a list of the most common toxins found by pets. If you think your pet has been exposed to a toxin, identify the plant or toxic substance in the product packaging or take a picture of the item and call Bayside Animal Hospital or the ASPCA Animal Poisoning Control Center for further recommendations. While these products may be safer than some of the synthetic chemicals, they have also been linked to allergies in both pets and humans, and not much is known about their actual effectiveness.

Their research found that American pets are plagued by phthalates, among other toxic chemicals found in artificial fragrances. Pets need protection, but many of the solutions found on store shelves are full of chemicals that could put their health and yours at risk. Caring for your pet while taking care of the planet goes beyond buying recycled toys and organic food for dogs. To limit your pet and family's exposure to these life-altering ingredients, consider switching from conventional flea and tick prevention products to non-toxic solutions without harsh chemicals.

Dogs are more vulnerable than humans to lawn care chemicals, as dogs run “barefoot” and often roll, smell and dig in the grass. In many cases, owners know that their pet has been exposed to a toxin; for example, they were observed eating chocolate, swallowing a pill, or chewing on an indoor plant. Organ damage, seizures, cancer, nervous system damage, and death in pets have been associated with toxic flea and tick repellents. To protect your pets from potentially harmful exposure, read cleaning product labels carefully and consider switching to non-toxic alternatives the next time you go shopping.


Hi, My name is Panda, and I am part Border Collie and Pitbull mix with a very cheeky streak. My Dad says I am the best puppy dog on the planet, but I know we all are! 🦴️ 🐶

Leave Reply

All fileds with * are required